Thursday, May 24, 2012

Cera's Place by Elizabeth McKenna

Cera's Place

by Elizabeth McKenna


Summary:
San Francisco saloon owner Cera Cassidy offers redemption to any woman looking for honest work. At Cera's Place, men can get a decent hot meal with a whiskey, but if they want anything more, they have to take their desires elsewhere. One summer night, a distraught Chinese girl bursts through the swinging doors with a shocking tale of murder, kidnapping, and prostitution. Outraged, Cera vows to set things right.
Jake Tanner, a scarred ex-soldier haunted by the horrors of the Civil War, is on a mission to fulfill a friend's dying wish. The trail has brought him to Cera's door. Captivated by her Irish beauty, he wants to join her fight - but will she let him?

Review:
One word: Charming
I peeked at this book before I actually read it, and I read the first several pages. I really wanted to drop the book I was reading at the time (Deadlocked) and get into this book. The beginning grabbed me right up in it's arms and didn't want to put me down. Of course I have a reading order list and I had to wait but the opening left me breathless and really wanting to get back to it soon.
Once I actually got to start it I couldn't put it down. I got emotionally involved with all of the characters in the book from the moment each hit the scene. The way that Elizabeth describes her characters makes you either love them or hate them right away.
The book starts with a jarring scene involving Jake a former Civil War Captain who's features have been hardened by the toubles of war, but have still left him with kind eyes and a sexy as hell cowboy persona. Then leads the reader from there into a very charming and sometimes downright seizing mixture of a Historical Love Story/ Western.
Cera is a saloon owner and she is a proud and sturdy woman with a softness inside for the weak and helpless. You can't help but love her and all of the workers in her saloon that she brings in to get them away from the hard life of the streets. She runs the saloon with a smile on her face and a Derringer in her pocket.
The love story between Jake and Cera is gradual leading up to some pretty awesome love scenes that left me tingling and wanting more. The action in the book revolves around the extremely detestable Biggs, a man with no morals that is selling Chinese women into prostitution. Cera decides she has to put an end to this mans reign of terror over the city. You soon find out in the book what Cera wants she damn well gets and by her owns means and determination not by passing the job off to any man. She has the help of her loyal team and family behind her and of course the sexy Jake.
All in all this book was well worth the read. I will recomend this one to many people for a quick and great read. I have one complaint about this one...it was too short! Elizabeth McKenna is a new author that really does deserve some more attention.

*Author Requested Review*
Thank you Elizabeth Mckenna for sending me your book for review

Pages: 272

Days to read: 1 1/2

Book Trailer:


Monkey's Given

1 comment:

Let Me Know What You Think !