Friday, May 4, 2012

The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston

The Witch's Daughter

by Paula Brackston

Summary:
My name is Elizabeth Anne Hawksmith, and my age is three hundred and eighty-four years. Each new settlement asks for a new journal, and so this Book of Shadows begins…
In the spring of 1628, the Witch finder of Wessex finds himself a true Witch. As Bess Hawksmith watches her mother swing from the Hanging Tree she knows that only one man can save her from the same fate at the hands of the panicked mob: the Warlock Gideon Masters, and his Book of Shadows. Secluded at his cottage in the woods, Gideon instructs Bess in the Craft, awakening formidable powers she didn’t know she had and making her immortal. She couldn't have foreseen that even now, centuries later, he would be hunting her across time, determined to claim payment for saving her life.
In present-day England, Elizabeth has built a quiet life for herself, tending her garden and selling herbs and oils at the local farmers' market. But her solitude abruptly ends when a teenage girl called Tegan starts hanging around. Against her better judgment, Elizabeth begins teaching Tegan the ways of the Hedge Witch, in the process awakening memories--and demons--long thought forgotten.

Review:
One word : Entertaining
  This book was different it combined Historical Fiction with Paranormal Fiction with Romance. I really enjoyed the book but it wasn't one of those books that I just couldn't put down, It took me much longer to finish than most books (partly due to my sons boy scout expo). I loved the character Elizabeth sometimes known as Bess, Eliza, Elise and many others over her 384 years, she was believable and easy to like though sometimes I felt she was a bit to serious. Her relationship with the young Tegan puts a lightness to her otherwise slightly gloomy nature.
I love the story settings in this book. Paula Brackston obviously did her homework for the time periods that the book is set in, I could feel the settings around me as I read. There have been many mixed reviews on this book and I can understand why, it mixes so many different genres that many people will only like certain parts of the book. I like all of the genres so that didn't get in the way of me enjoying the wonderful story line.
Gideon Masters makes for a truly hateable bad guy, he puts Elizabeth through so much for so long that I truly gained a personal hate for him. Just like Elizabeth he plays many characters throughout the book and each is just as vile as the last. The author also wrapped the story up nicely so that I didn't feel cheated in the end like I didn't get the full story.
  To sum it all up this book is worth the read, it is enjoyable but not one that will pop out in my mind years from now to recommend to a friend. The settings make you feel like you are part of the book, but the gloomy nature of the book leaves out the luster needed in any story to make the reader really excited to get back to it soon. In the end it was a satisfying read but not one that will stick with me.

Pages : 320
Days to read: 7

Authors Website: http://www.paulabrackston.com/?page_id=4

Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Witchs-Daughter-Paula-Brackston/dp/031262168X

 Monkey's Given

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let Me Know What You Think !